Sunday, February 16, 2014

Yes even the wind and the waves

But sheer awe swept over them and they kept saying to each other, “Who ever can He be?—even the wind and the waves do what He tells them!” Mark 4:41

So Dana in South Africa changed his facebook photo today. And I don’t know why.  But I know that I am so very reminded of the words of the Lord Jesus: “And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.” And sheer awe overcomes me.

Inline image 1

And Dana sent me a devotional pretty much talking about the video I watched last week with the guy with readjusted vision. Because of a renewing of the mind, which is Phil Drysdale’s mantra.

And this statue of Jesus grips my soul.

And it reminds me of a God-speaking-to-me experience that I had on a mountain outside of Denver when Jenny and Tim took me to the Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini shrine.  And we wandered the grounds where this nun created a summer camp for the girls at her inner city orphanage. Her heart was to server immigrants, often Italians, who were suffering under very harsh conditions throughout the United States. When Mother Cabrini died in 1917 at the age of 67, 67 missions had been established, ministries of healing, teaching, caring, giving, and reaching out, in cities of the United States, Italy, France, England, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Nicaragua.

And overlooking the city of Denver, stretching out in all directions, is a twenty-two foot stature of Jesus built in her honor.
Inline image 2Inline image 3Inline image 4

And it is not so much about the statue. But it was a gripping reminder of bigness of Jesus. It’s so easy to not notice. To go about the busyness of life and not notice Who is here in our midst, like when two or three are gathered.

Which is the whole point of my Browning verse, to remind me.
Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees, takes off his shoes-
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Last summer lightning struck the statue and blasted off both of the hands of Jesus. But really, that is ok, because we are called to be His hands and His feet. Which reminds me of another Dana picture, that of his office.

 Inline image 5
Because right after this awe moment, this moment of truth and perspective, the little boat arrives on the other side of the lake, and as Jesus was getting out of the boat, a man in the grip of an evil spirit rushed to meet him from among the tombs where he was living.

Life happens.

But may I live awe-struck, with wonder, whoever can He be?  And how can I walk in His footsteps.

No comments:

Post a Comment