Monday, June 30, 2014

What does it profit a man to gain the whole world?

Light dawns in the darkness for the upright; he is gracious, merciful, and righteous. Psalm 112:4

Luz resplandece en las tinieblas para el que es recto;
El es clemente, compasivo y justo. Salmo 112,4

This morning my internal alarm clock clicked on, and I woke up completely befuddled as to where I was and what I was supposed to be doing. My fogged brain soon sorted things out, slipped on my swimming suit and headed off to long-distance day at the Hillenbrand Pool.

But the rest of me is also sorting things out. What this Peaceful Leader actually looks like in the day-to-day. And the one who is like Jesus, gentle and lowly of heart. And when and how to speak up for those without a voice, how to live justly, love mercy and walk humbly before our God. 

And somehow the past two days have been full of the war question. Tim is reading a book by a previous U.S.Marine who is now getting his PhD at Denver Seminary,Through all the Plain, by Benjamin John Peters. And Mary Kaech, who is now pretty much my all time hero and role model of How Then Shall We Live, posted an article, “19 Reasons Latin Americans Come to the United States that Have Nothing to Do with the American Dream,” detailing the ugly military and political interventions of the United States in Latin America over the past 100 years. Not exactly following along the Love your Neighbor as Yourself policies that should reflect a country founded on the principles of inalienable rights. And Dustin has thoughtfully set my computer to open at Reddit so whenever I restart I can immediate access to all of the trending articles of the English-speaking world, one of which was written over seventy years ago by a Major General awarded two Congressional medals of honor for his participation in these just-named military interventions. His article is entitled “War is a Racket,” and as our nation reflects on the outcome and effectiveness our most recent and very costly intervention in Iraq, what am I to do with all of this tangled information?  While at the same time, reading Facebook posts of beloved and respected friends heading off to Navel Academy or taking up new posts in Afghanistan or returning after completing two tours of duty.

I don’t want to be a silent coward hiding behind the wall of inoffensive politeness. But nor do I want to be distracted by policy and doctrine when I am to be about My Father’s business.

So what I think I need to do is to be ready, attentive for His soft steady voice, ready to leap, or kneel, as He directs. He is the One who works, my task is to hold loosely to my thoughts and my preconceptions, ready always with my response, “Speak LORD, for Your servant listens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment