Monday, September 1, 2014

checking the red blinking alarm clock one last time


Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul? and why are you so disquieted within me? Put your trust in God; for I will yet give thanks to Him, who is the help of my countenance, and my God. Psalm 42:14-15

Night comes with all its darkling fears, Regard your people’s prayers and tears. Lest, sunk in sin and numbed with strife, We lose the gift of endless life; Or while thinking but the thoughts of time We weave new chains of woe and crime. Hear our prayer, our mighty king! Hear our praises too, we sing, Adoring with all heaven’s host The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.

Lord of all power and might, the author and giver of all good things: Graft in my heart the love of your Name; increase in me true religion; nourish me with all goodness; and bring forth in me the fruit of good works; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

I imagine that some good comes out of the sifting through the day that happens at night. Possibly. Mostly it feels like the accuser and his shaking finger. Did any good come out of this day, or was it all just tossing seed into the dry desert wind?

For one resolved to step a free and easy stride into Do Would Jesus Did, I am quite capable of weaving new chains of woe thinking the thoughts of time. Where did all the moments, days, weeks, years go, and how did I end up here? 

But the story that Robbie Dawkins tells is of a God who is simply looking for people who are available; the power is His.  And the answer he has to the question What is the Church? is this: not to be perfect or better than our neighbors. It means that the good news of God’s love actually lives inside us and is available to build up, restore, heal, and transform the world around us. This is the treasure–the hidden pearl of great price that we seek before anything else.

In truth God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer. Psalm 66:17

No comments:

Post a Comment