Monday, December 15, 2014

Just dropped Jincheng off at the airport. Check.



Bless the Lord, O you His angels, you mighty ones who do His word, obeying the voice of His word!
Bless the Lord, all His hosts, His ministers, who do His will!
Bless the Lord, all His works, in all places of His dominion.
Bless the Lord, O my soul!
 Psalm 103:20-22

The shepherds, humble, lonely, and obscure were chosen to be at the crux moment of the history of the universe. When God comes near, kingdom values are revealed. And these shepherds embody one of the most significant values of Jesus come to the earth. The Beatitudes say, “Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of God.”

Unlike the rich young ruler. In spite of his earnest pure heart, his dedication, his efforts, he was simply too invested in the things of the world and he went away sad. His calendar was full. The shepherds were the ideal welcoming committee because they were available. They were willing to drop everything and they weren’t too proud to worship a newborn king and they weren’t too preoccupied to go and proclaim it, just as they were instructed.

When God comes near, He reveals that the kingdom is foremost for those who are available.

Am I willing to make room for Him?

And my stuffed-full calendar is what drove me to agree with my boss, yes I need a break. And my worn out and weary tears in the dark. Earnest, dedicated and trying trying trying it is not what is requested or required.

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Humble enough to let it all go. To leave my sheep on the starlit hill and go down into the small dusty town. Humble enough to let it all go. To drop my fancy robe at my feet and walk out naked. Humble enough to reply, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to Your word.”

May this advent season be honest preparation for the following sabbatical season, making room for worship and proclamation.

Humble enough to let it all go. To zip that to do list through the metaphorical shredder.


No comments:

Post a Comment