Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The fish fountain splashes can drown out the sound of traffic down Broadway, if I let it


 The wonder of it all. Sometimes, um, like almost all of the time, I let the mundane settle in around me.  Like this morning for instance, 4:15 clicked on and I popped into the kitchen, drank two glasses of water, put on the expresso pot, unloaded the dishwasher and put away the dishes in the counter rack, tossed a load of clothes into the machine, wiped down the sink, and scanned over the stacks of recipes and shopping and to do lists before I knelt before Him and sat at His feet, ready to listen. 

And the guy wandering Mt. St. Francis Retreat reminds me of when suddenly His magnificence breaks in, and the impact it has on the ones who were noticing. When the nets came back loaded with fish and Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord,” for amazement had seized him. After the storm was quieted, everyone marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?” When John saw Him, his eyes like blazing fire and   His right hand holding seven stars, he falls like a dead man, at this new glimpse of Who He Is.

But Jesus placed His right hand on him and said, "Stop being afraid! I am the first and the last.”

And today, once again, I ask, “May You be my First and my Last. The one who fills me with wonder as I pick up Miss Everette and head down Speedway Boulevard with my lists tucked in my pocket.”

May Your magnificence, Your face like the sun shining in all its brilliance, fill my heart as I truly celebrate Your great love today. May Your presence that quiets my storm and fills my nets with Your abundance be ever in my thoughts.

Hallowed by Thy name.


No comments:

Post a Comment