Saturday, March 21, 2015

And I have the picture in my mind of Jacob wrestling with the Lord, all night long.

Call to Worship For He satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul He fills with good things. Let them thank the Lord for His steadfast love, for His wondrous works to the children of man! Psalm 107:15

Confession God of love, it is Your will that we should love You with heart, soul, mind, strength, and our neighbor as ourselves, but we are not sufficient for these things. We confess that our affections continually turn away from you: from purity to lust, from freedom to slavery, from compassion to indifference, from fullness to emptiness. Have mercy on us. Order our lives by your holy Word, and make your commandments the joy of our hearts. Conform us to the image of your loving Son, Jesus, that we may shine before the world to Your glory. Amen.

Contemplation The deepest longing of our soul is the all-satisfying hesed of God—not in the abstract, but first-hand knowledge and experience, a tasting of God’s hesed. Have you been delivered by the hand of God, tasted His mercy, seen His power, heard His word, felt His presence?

He, who knew no sin, became sin, and in that moment, he took up the lament of King David: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” When he said this he not only took our sin upon himself, but also voiced all our laments. For underlying all our laments are two questions: “God, where are you?” and, “God, if you love me, then why?”

Lament is the path that takes us to the place where we discover that there is no complete answer to pain and suffering, only Presence.


One of the reflection questions for today is “How would the presence of God be more satisfying to you than answers from God?” 



Certainly this is the Big Question. Am I enough? Am I your longing? Does your soul pant for Me as a deer pants for flowing streams?


The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not want. I am satisfied.


He is my green pastures.  He is my cool waters. He restores me.


You, and You alone will make me glad.


Our Friday night group grappled with what is idolatry last night. And idolatry is anything but Him. Period. No ifs, ands or but.


You alone are my heart’s desire.



Prayer Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.



No comments:

Post a Comment