Monday, November 2, 2015

Cause me to hear Thy lovingkindness in the morning. Sure am going to need to wallow in it all day long.

Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return to give praise to God except for this foreigner?” Then He said to him, “Rise and go, your faith has made you well.” Luke 17:17-19

And Jesus said to him, “Having risen, be going on, thy faith has saved thee.” Young’s Literal Translation.

Saved thee. It’s sozo in Greek. Sozo means salvation. It means true wellness, complete wholeness. To live sozo is to live the full life. Jesus came that we might have life to the full; He came to give us sozo. And when did the leper receive sozo–the saving to the full, whole life? When he returned to give thanks.

Our very saving is associated with our gratitude. But. . . .of course. If our fall was the non-eucharisteo, the ingratitude, then salvation must be intimately related to eucharisteo, the giving of thanks. The leper’s faith was a faith that said thank you. Is that it? Jesus counts thanksgiving as integral in a faith that saves.

We only enter into the full life if our faith gives thanks.

Because how else do we accept His free gift of salvation if not with thanksgiving? Thanksgiving is the evidence our acceptance of whatever He gives. Thanksgiving is the manifestation our Yes! to His grace.

Thanksgiving is inherent to a true salvation experience; thanksgiving is necessary to live the well, whole, fullest life. Ann Voskamp, 1000 Gifts

He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God. Psalm 50:23

So this morning I sat wrapped up in the old orange blanket by the barely crackling fireplace and watched the sun grow bright through the Mt Lemmon pine trees. And I wrote down thanksgiving for each of my forty students and for each of the other staff people at my little school, Image of God. I wrote thanksgiving for 100 gifts from God.

And yesterday was Halloween. And I gave thanks for this opportunity for silly creativity. And Isaac did a brilliant job of dressing as a nerd with the taped-up glasses, and Lesay nailed the eighties in all of their neon glory and well, Reverend Susan captured every single nuance of The Wicked Witch of the West. And we all walked over to Armory Park in the afternoon and ate whipped cream and chocolate and caramel sauce pies with our hands behind our backs to see who could do it first, and pushed oranges with our noses through an orange-cone obstacle course, and ate pumpkin cookies and drank fruit juices until it was time to go home.

And I have this writing club during Friday enrichment sometimes, and the three kids and I  light a candle and try to write. And yesterday Jazmine took my little laptop and wrote a story that took our breath away. And the first sentence is Hearing the gun shot BLAM never thinking twice running towards him is he okay? And the last sentence is I want to be face to face with this man and ask him why? cause that deserves to be spoken. And we have a little revision to do, but that moment changed all of our way of seeing her forever. And now she is a Writer.

And Sebastian must have asked me a million jillion times How am I behaving, Miss? because I had promised a phone call home today. And he was the first one done with his science quiz and got thirty-three out of thirty-five, which was pretty amazing and also changed how we both see him.

And my co-teacher walked through this spider web geometry lesson, pretty much using every single one of the Essential Elements of Instruction, and it was beautiful.

So today I have my quizzes graded. My powerpoints on the jump drive. An email from Mike Birrer explaining Saturday school workday at an apartment complex. And a heart full of praise.

Ooops. And my co-teacher just called in sick. Wow. Gonna be a full day.  

And a heart full of praise.

Satisfy us by your loving-kindness in the morning so shall we rejoice and be glad all the days of our life. Psalm 90:14






No comments:

Post a Comment