Thursday, November 19, 2015

Slow down. You move too fast. Gotta make the moment last. Just kicking down the cobblestones. Lookin’ for fun, and feeling groovy.

The Call to Prayer
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow; praise Him, all creatures here below; praise Him above, you heavenly hosts; praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Doxology

The Request for Presence
Send out Your light and Your truth that they may lead me, and bring me to Your holy hill and to Your dwelling; That I may go to the altar of God, to the God of my joy and gladness. Psalm 43:3-4

There are four appointments scratched on the calendar this week and two evening meetings slotted and all six kids have swimming lessons and there are piano recitals and exams looming at week’s end and . . .and days flood torrential–but full attention slows the current. Don’t I always have the choice to be fully attentive? Simplicity is ultimately a matter of focus. Eucharisteo, eucharisteo. That keeps the focus simple ­sacred. Ann Voskamp, 1000 Gifts

My little scratched-upon calendar is also full and overflowing and double-booked. Of so many good and delicious things. But I gulp my food, certainly not chewing properly with due attention.

And momma spends a lot of time preparing Family Dinner. A creamy rice with sautéed mushrooms and vegetables. Both pumpkin bread and rustic loaf. Pork loin with a lovely seeded sauce. A dark green salad with homemade croutons. A splendid apple pie at the end. And just for me, my favorite chutney, chopped pears and raisins and ginger and oh-so-many spices.

And last night I sort of left in a messy clutter leaving behind, unstacked dishes and a crumb-covered tablecloth. And fifty snack bags of chocolate cookies for the refugee tutoring Center.

And I didn’t even really pause by the fire waiting for me at home, the sparkly lights and crackling warmth. And mull over the stories of lives changed through intentional mentoring over the long haul.

And really, if you think of it as a good and delicious gift, ten hours a day with aching thirteen-year-olds longing to be noticed, really seen, pleads to be savored as well, and not merely endured.

In His embrace, time loses all sense of speed and stress and space and stands so still and holy. -Voskamp


May I slow down and look today. Make the moment, His great gift, last.


No comments:

Post a Comment