Wednesday, January 27, 2016

And this morning the glorious trail of planets sparkled in the clarity overhead.

Jesus taught us, saying: “. . . if you are bringing your offering to the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there before the altar, go and be reconciled with your brother first, and then come back and present your offering.” Matthew 5:23–24

Happy are they whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! Psalm 119:1

All wonder and worship can only grow out of smallness. – Ann Voskamp

Expectations kill relationships. –Ann Voskamp’s momma

Yep. No one can live up to the glossy ad campaigns that fill the in-basket of our mind.

And I pretty much skimmed right over the Happy is the one whose walk is blameless the first and second time through the Scripture reading. Blameless seemed like such a ridiculous word.

And yet two things:
It is the key to happiness.
And it is what He died for, that was the purpose, that I might be blameless and happy.

I mean, God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not holding anyone’s faults against them, but entrusted to us the message of reconciliation. 2 Corinthians 5:19

So what happened?

I have gotten all tangled and tripped up in the Accuser’s web. Totally bound up holding faults.

How can I receive his free gift of blamelessness when I am so busy reiterating the sins done unto me?

 Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. Luke 6: 36-38

With the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And today, once again, we will celebrate the Eucharist together, at Imago Dei. Each of us His Image-bearers will sit quietly together and confess our sins. But beforehand, I must be reconciled with my brother. Release him and her from the bleak prison of my expectations.

Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us.

Release myself.
And
Release God from my sharp pointy prison of expectations.

And then, and only then, may I offer up my gifts of thanksgiving and worship.
And receive His free gift of blamelessness.

Happy are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment