Saturday, January 30, 2016

Then he will remove His hand. And we will look.

Show me the light of Your countenance, O God, and come to me. Psalm 67:1

Jesus said: “In all truth I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born through water and the Spirit; what is born of human nature is human; what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be surprised when I say: You must be born from above. The wind blows where it pleases; you can hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.” John 3:5–8


The love of the Saviour was revealed to me, You can't explain what a revelation is. I saw that the Saviour and Father, before I should suffer, would rather suffer for me. No natural love is in the same world as His love. It was not merely that the Saviour helped me outside Himself; no, He took my place. I saw every other love so rough in comparison. Self was the motive of it. But I could see that love enduring through the countless ages of eternity. When you receive the Saviour, you receive the love of God. That love flooded my being, and it has flooded my being ever since. I .saw that by His coming in to me, He would love sinners through me, as He loved me. It would not be forcing myself to love others, any more than the Saviour forced Himself to love me. No person could be an enemy to me, because I had been an enemy to Him before I was reconciled. If I live in the realm where He is, I live to have mercy, and to be kind, to love others. Could the love of God in me do harm to anyone? I had left the world and its folly, and been born into that Kingdom where there is only the love of God -- the most attractive life on the face of the earth. –Rees Howells
So I started off yesterday with this question in my heart…What is it that I ask of You, in Your name? That You promise to do so that the Father will be glorified in the Son. Anything. Ask anything in Your name, and You will do it.

I didn’t have an answer yet.

Anything.

And my soundtrack for the ride down Broadway was once again Audry Assad: From the need to be understood From the need to be accepted From the need of being lonely Deliver me O God Deliver me O God.

And I glanced over the Mother Teresa prayer taped to my windshield: Dear Jesus, help us to spread your fragrance everywhere we go. Flood our souls with your spirit and life. Penetrate and possess our whole being so utterly, that our lives may only be a radiance of yours.

And I briefly mulled over the Request for Presence, Show me the light of Your countenance, O God, and come to me, but my attention was distracted by all of the usual darts, and the day quickly unraveled into a tear-blurred rollercoaster ride of humiliation.

But last night I rode out to the airport and once again I waited below the escalator and watched the distorted people walk past the camera monitor.  I have done this sort of thing a lot. Lots of memories. And Nicole had stories of her adventures by the sea, hard and good. And profound.

And last night I began to read the story of Rees Howells. A very nice Christian Welshman who at last saw the light of His countenance. And when the love of God was revealed to him, his life was never the same.

And oddly enough the Request for Presence was the same today as yesterday:
Show me the light of Your countenance, O God, and come to me.

Anything.

In My name.

Show me the light of Your countenance, O God, and come to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment