Saturday, August 20, 2016

Let us love the same.

Jesus taught us, saying: ‘But I say this to you who are listening: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who treat you badly. To anyone who slaps you on one cheek, present the other cheek as well; to anyone who takes your cloak from you, do not refuse your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and do not ask for property back from someone who takes it. Treat others as you would like people to treat you.’ Luke 6:27–31

Understanding another’s story can teach me compassion. It doesn’t mean I let someone take advantage of me. But it does open my heart and help me recognize that they are victims, too. They’ve been wounded, too. Yet they are still objectively an image of God, created in God’s image. –Richard Rohr

Actually. I am to let people take advantage of me. Love isn’t fair. His love is not fair. Fair is one of the Pillars of Character that is posted on my classroom wall, the stuff we are all expected to do. 

But this is something different. This is Christ in me. 

I do not receive what I deserve; rather I receive His abundant grace and neverending mercy, His life offered up freely, released, lifted up for me.

Compassion is what a nice person does.

I am not called to be nice, framed my human reasonable constraints.

I am called to be like Him. The one Who laid down His life for us.

Laid it down. All of it.

I tell you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more.

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.

But God proves His love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

By this we know what love is: Jesus laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives.

That we may be sons of our Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.


If I am listening.


Let us love the same. Let us love the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment