Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The headlines also spoke of launching multiple air strikes. Again.

Jesus taught us, saying: ‘Peace I bequeath to you, my own peace I give you, a peace which the world cannot give, this is my gift to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. John 14:27



The LORD Himself watches over you; the LORD is your shade at your right hand, So that the sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. Psalm 121



He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, abides under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1


Even though I know it is not exactly the same thing, as I wandered the rather bleak and quite harsh hills of Greece, I thought about all of the thousands and thousands of feet who have joined me in that scrabbling journey under the rather ruthless albeit bright blue sky over the centuries. Paul, for instance. And goatherds and shepherds. 





And I am from Tucson. This morning’s headlines are “July was hot, hot, hot, plenty miserable, too.” And it is now August.


And Dustin who spends his days on top of trailer roofs replacing coolers knows all about the sun and shade. And lack thereof.


We really can’t provide our own shade.


And sometimes we sort of try. Sunday morning I was standing in a black asphalt parking lot and I tried really hard to be shade. I turned my back to the sun and tried to look away and squinted and hunch over, but it was still there. Life. Pounding down on me.


But the LORD Himself in my shade. I can tuck myself right up under His wing, in the shadow of the Almighty. In His gift of peace.


Not as the world gives, fragile and easily smashed and dependent on circumstances, but as He gives, dependent on the Most High and glorious God.


Do not let my heart be troubled or afraid.
He is my shade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment