Thursday, June 8, 2017

Wrapped around my wrists.

Lord, make me know my end
    and what is the measure of my days;
    let me know how fleeting I am!
Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
    and my lifetime is as nothing before you.
Surely all mankind stands as a mere breath! 
Selah
    Surely a man goes about as a shadow! Psalm 39:4-6

So commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Deuteronomy 11:18

But Peter and the apostles answered, “We must obey God rather than men.” Acts 5:29

The first step of humility is to cherish at all times the sense of awe with which we should turn to God. –Benedict of Nursia

For God alone my soul in silence waits; truly, my hope is in Him.  Psalm 62:6

Sue the prayer warrior and I sat on her back patio with bowls of cereal and granola heaped with fresh fruits. A perfectly crafted elegant bespeaking-of-royalty quail hopped along the back wall standing between our rocking chairs and the soaring Catalinas.

Cherish the sense of awe with which we should turn to God.

Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

And yet we are but a mere breath before Him.

It is a joy to just set with Sue. The so very many cares of this world seamlessly roll into prayers, laying down our burdens at the feet of His outstretched arms.

Unconditional love that stops at nothing to bring restoration to the wayfaring stranger that is each of us. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.

Amen.

And as we moved along her daily prayer walk winding through the foothills, we paused on a hill that overlooked the city. This is where she pauses every morning to lift up this city and her people, her leaders. The leaders of our state, our country, our world. Our big fat crazy messy beloved world.

Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

So as I continue to consider the prayers of Jesus, I am struck by “Not my will, but Yours, be done.”

Dear LORD God, today as I walk the path of a wayfaring stranger, may I pause and listen to Your voice, Your will, and may I obey. May I as my first step turn to You before I think or say or do.

Speak LORD, for your servant is listening.  

No comments:

Post a Comment