Thursday, December 3, 2015

You mortals, how long?

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause; you set me free when I am hard-pressed; have mercy on me and hear my prayer. “You mortals, how long will you dishonor my glory; how long will you worship dumb idols and run after false gods?” Know that the LORD does wonders for the faithful; when I call upon the LORD, He will hear me. Tremble, then, and do not sin; speak to your heart in silence upon your bed. Offer the appointed sacrifices and put your trust in the LORD. Many are saying, “Oh, that we might see better times!” Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O LORD. You have put gladness in my heart, more than when grain and wine and oil increase. I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep; for only You, LORD, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4

Dumb idols.

It is pretty clear from reading and rereading this text that dumb idols is anything or anyone or any circumstance from which I seek gladness other than the light of His face. As in May the LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. The LORD lift up His countenance on you, And give you peace.

And I have fistfuls of dumb idols. So many things that I allow to disappoint or discourage or dis-anything that divides my heart. Anything else than only You.

Dumb idols.

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after Thee
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship Thee.

You alone.
You alone hear me.
You alone make me glad.
You alone give me peace.
You alone are my heart’s desire.

And I watch sorrowing angst all day long in my little middle schoolers. And the cutters and the head bangers and the facers-down-on-the-table-and-weeping. All day long.

And yesterday I remembered all of those longing-to-gather-into-His-arms-and-comfort-His-lambs verses. All day long. Including me.

 Christy, beloved Christy, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary.  Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.

The good portion.

The one thing.

Have mercy on me, a sinner, and set me free.
Hear my prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment