Monday, February 11, 2013

Bouncing and jolting along through life



From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy.

I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the cover of thy wings. Selah.  Psalm 61: 2-4

My heart is so full of joy at His faithfulness.  He is indeed a shelter for me and a strong tower in times of doubt or dismay; when my heart is overwhelmed.  

I think I have written of this before, but it is such a strong vivid moment.  I had gone to a wedding of a good friend way oh way up in a tiniest of villages in the Sierra Madre.  He was one of those drug-dealer-turned-evangelist sorts, who wandered from village to village with a fire burning in his belly.  

We had sent, I wonder why “hapless” always sort of describe our college students who came and did internships with us, perhaps because, they, like we had been, were so far out of their elements of strength and ability.  We had sent a Wheaton intern named Bruce with him once, on one of his journeys down the deep gorges and up to the highest of heights, and all of us realized that it probably wasn’t that much fun to travel with apostle Paul either, and no wonder John Mark came back.  

Anyways, he got married to a sweet schoolteacher in one of these villages, and I flew in to bake the wedding cake, and the plane crashed and so I hate flying, and there were many other adventures of baking a cake for two hundred except it turned into 600 on a wood stove, and amazing freshly ground corn tortillas and carne asada, and healings and songs by blazing campfires under blazing stars and as were getting a ride standing up in the back of a pickup truck to the train station because now there was thankfully no small plane to go zooming up and down the crazy air currents through the mountain passes, we sang this song: Torre Fuerte es el Nombre del Señor.  

And as we bounced and jolted along under the tall tall pine trees under the bright blue mountain sky, light shone down all around us and an indescribable joy swelled up in our throats.  Nos dieron escalofríos por todo el cuerpo even although the sun was shining brightly.  A moment framed forever in my heart.

This has been an amazing week of very clear, very precise answers to prayer.  His Spirit at work powerfully. But why am I so amazed?  W hy do I stand here looking into the sky? He has indeed been a shelter for me.  He is my strong tower.  I will trust in the cover of His wings.

Selah.  

No comments:

Post a Comment