Sunday, March 9, 2014

Take courage

Many of the people told him sharply to keep quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have pity on me!”

Jesus stood quite still and said, “Call him here.” Mark 10:48-49

And many severely censured and reproved him, telling him to keep still, but he kept on shouting out all the more, You Son of David, have pity and mercy on me!

This was the point of last night’s sermon…the long-awaited exhortation on homosexuality after nine months of consideration and poring over 2,000 pages of study guides, it turned out to not be so much about them and more about me.

Without brokenness and love we will fail as a body of Christ.

God has a deep abiding work to do among us…and it begins with us confessing our brokenness. Apart from Him we can do nothing.

And from this place of need, we receive His eyes to see. His heart of pity and mercy: compassion, to be moved with pity.

The heart of Jesus, that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Me.  Sacrificial love flowing out of compassion.

And so often, the Church sees with human eyes and speaks sharply and severely censures and reproves the hurting and aching souls along the side of the road.

And may I be one of those, one of those who took the blind man’s hand and led him gently, “Take courage! Get up! He is calling you.”

Prayer: Son of David, I confess my brokenness. Apart from You I can do nothing. And in this truth, may I stand quite still and see with Your eyes, and have Your heart of pity and mercy. And move to act on that compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment