Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Waves of mercy, waves of grace

For they were frightened of the people. Mark 11:32

So this pretty much seems to be the pattern for Phariseeism. And I am to avoid their leaven. This man-fear that permeates the mass, working its way into each cell.  But I cannot enjoy even a moment of smugness, because, honestly the air is thick with the spores, and with every breath I take, I suck it in.

And it is okay to remind myself of the markers, not for the pointing of fingers, but for leaning in closer to the mirror in order to remove the stakes. Let the lamp of the Word shine brightly so I can see clearly.

Jesus the Word is way clear, no blurry, smeared lines here: what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God. It so easily entangles: doing works to be seen by men, loving money, passing by the justice and love of God.

No wonder the chief priests and scribes tried to find a way of getting rid of Him. They were in fact afraid of Him, for His teaching had captured the imagination of the people.

Because wonder if it is really true? That I am living by another Authority? Unburdened? Walking light and easy with a gentle yoke?

One can exactly picture the broad smile and confident twinkle as Jesus replies to Them, “Then I cannot tell you by what authority I do these things.”

I don’t have to play by the rules anymore. Free, free indeed. And maybe that’s why I am being sent back to Mexicali, so I can sing and clap with the children once again.

Every move I make I make in You
You make me move Jesus
Every breath I take I breathe in You
Every step I take I take in You
You are my way Jesus.


A pilgrimage back to where the air is clear in spite of the billows of dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment