Tuesday, December 10, 2019

Grace


December 10, 2019
Grace

Does He not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go in search of the one that went astray? It is not the will of my Father who is in heaven that one of these little ones should perish. Matthew 18: 13-14 

The LORD is the Good Shepherd, ever present; I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
Yea, though I walk through dark valleys, Thou art with me.
Thy rod and Thy staff comfort me.
Thou prepares a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
Thou anoints my head with oil; my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23

Variations of Psalm 23 make up the bulk of my electronic passwords. Well, those and the name of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Hahn.

But, and of course I am sure that jillions of sermons have already been preached on this detail, but this morning I noticed something new.

It is when I go through the dark valleys of death, that this grace, this Provision, becomes personal. Up until then the overflowing beauty and delight and deliciousness of His creation and goodness is theoretical and abstract.

But when I sink into the shadows and the hopeful light fades and dreams wither, it is in that moment that My Father in Heaven becomes Thou, the very personal pronoun.

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.

Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment