Saturday, August 16, 2014

And every breath is really a flat-out miracle

O tarry and await the LORD’s pleasure; be strong, and He shall comfort your heart; wait patiently for the LORD. Psalm 27:18

Let Your loving-kindness be my comfort, as You have promised to Your servant. Let Your compassion come to me, that I may live, for Your law is my delight. Psalm 119:76–77

All the way my Savior leads me, What have I to ask beside?
 Can I doubt His tender mercies, Who through life has been my guide?
 Heavenly peace, divinest comfort, Here by faith in Him to dwell,
 For I know whatever befall me, Jesus does all things well.
 All the way my Savior leads me, Cheers each winding path I tread,
 Gives me grace for every trial, Feeds me with the living bread,
Though my weary steps may falter, And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me, Lo! A spring of joy I see. Fanny Cosby

So it has pretty much become my thing: recounting the lessons learned from my summer journeys starting in Istanbul where God let me wallow in His love for this one, and this one and that lady over there too, for each of His children through time and space. Last night I served a sort of Turkish breakfast, at least the parts you can buy on your way home from Fry’s after poor Shaun did not pass his driver’s license test once again.

And after each told of their summer adventures, especially Mike in his gathering of eighty churches to serve the schools of Tucson, but also for Robert and Adriana who walked through the Valley of the Shadow of Death with his family, and Gene who saw the grand fruition of his trolley car project after so very many years, and Alan who just plugged along on his checklist and is now enjoying the satisfying fruit, and Annissa who learned about choosing a perspective in unchosen circumstances and having that make all the beautiful difference, I told about Asissi, and the impact of one simple man who dropped it all, every last stitch, at the feet of Jesus and forever changed the world.

And about the sweeping glory of God and how for me, traveling is an act of worship, how it is a gift to leave all the pettiness and entanglements of my very tiny part of life and gain a clearer perspective of His kingdom. And how He faithfully carried me on His strong wings around so many winding paths even though my weary step would falter, and at last, how He stepped in mightily in flat-out miraculous healings and an overflowing spring of joyous celebration. And every breath is really a flat-out miracle and should be an overflowing spring of joy.

And then we prayed.

LORD God of the Universe, may we, your Church, drop what binds us, and may we fearlessly kneel down and serve your image-bearers with gladness, each and every one, expectantly looking for Your great power and love.  In the name of Your only begotten Son, Jesus.

Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.


No comments:

Post a Comment