Monday, August 18, 2014

I have had glimpses of buried treasure and other things submerged


It is a good thing to give thanks to the LORD, and to sing praises to your Name, O Most High; To tell of your loving-kindness early in the morning and of your faithfulness in the night season. Psalm 92:1-2
He revives my soul and guides me along right pathways for His Name’s sake. Psalm 23:3
I sure as heck have no idea what lies ahead.
But I have a heart full of images of Jesus breaking the bread and lifting His eyes to heaven and giving thanks before He offers it up to His followers. Before the miracle of provision.
And sometimes the night seasons are long. And last night I sat outside and let bits of an almost rainstorm splatter me as I read Dickens A Tale of Two Cities: Other sound than the owl's voice there was none, save the falling of a fountain into its stone basin; for, it was one of those dark nights that hold their breath by the hour together, and then heave a long low sigh, and hold their breath again.
And I am not sure why I went further into the melancholic mood first established with Saturday’s Les Miz, because of course Dickens builds upon it, brick by brick, with the sorrows of mankind. But there is light gleaming his each of his carefully hefted words, just as hope echoes in the wordless tunes of dreaming of dreams that now form the soundtrack against the stillness.
And there is great mercy found in the Dickens’ cry for justice: A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other. A solemn consideration, when I enter a great city by night, that every one of those darkly clustered houses encloses its own secret; that every room in every one of them encloses its own secret; that every beating heart in the hundreds of thousands of breasts there, is, in some of its imaginings, a secret to the heart nearest it!
Every human creature. And Our Shepherd knows each our names and sees the secret longing of our hearts. For we are Your people and the sheep of Your pasture.
And in this let me give praise for Your lovingkindness in the morning. For in Thee do I trust.
For we are your people and the sheep of your pasture; we will give you thanks for ever and show forth your praise from age to age.
Cause me to know the way wherein I should walk, for I lift up my soul unto Thee.
Deliver me; Teach me to do Thy will. Quicken me, Oh LORD. I lift up my soul unto Thee.
And even if I do not know for what I ask, Your Spirit within me does. Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and it shall be opened to you.
Almighty God, give me grace that I may always most thankfully receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment