Thursday, October 16, 2014

Almighty God, to Whom our needs are known before we ask.




Blessed be the God and Father of our Jesus Christ, the merciful Father and the God who gives every possible encouragement; He supports us in every hardship, so that we are able to come to the support of others, in every hardship of theirs because of the encouragement that we ourselves receive from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

You sent a gracious rain, O God, upon Your inheritance, You refreshed the land when it was weary. Your people found their home in it, in Your goodness, O God, You have made provision for the poor. Psalm 68:7-10

Man, my little Wednesday night supper club is walking through the dark valley and humanly speaking, it is very impossible to see beyond the jagged pitfalls that lurk in each day, much less the long road that lies ahead. But. There is certainly a Presence in our midst, Who gives every possible encouragement as these impossible tales are told.  And all that stuff about strands woven together are not easily broken is apparent, even though the way out is not.  And it is with humility I accept their support, because they are so clearly filled with the mercy of our Father God.

And we are His inheritance. And He is faithful to send a gracious rain when we are weary. And we have found a home in His goodness, as He provides for the poor and brokenhearted.

Thus refreshed and warmed, may I go out today to be a comfort. To encourage and support, because He has been my Comfort. Because Life Is Hard, capitalized. But He is good. And I saw some quote yesterday, maybe by Bono, about there is so much pain in the world so it proves that there is enough goodness, and I had to wrestle with it all day, because at face value, it doesn’t make much sense.

But deep within, it speaks truth.

It’s the astonishing truth that while I serve Christ, it is He who serves me. Jesus Christ still lives with a towel around His waist, bent in service to His people … in service to me, as I serve, that I need never serve in my own strength. –Voskamp

Quietly may I fill the day’s basins with warm water.

No comments:

Post a Comment