Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Where, except in uncreated light, can the darkness be drowned?




My God whose ways and thoughts are higher than my ways and thoughts.



What I desire: To live before God with true freedom. Freedom centered on the strong knowledge and security of God’s love. His love has set me free.



Restore us, O God of hosts, show me the light of your countenance, and we shall be saved. Psalm 80:7



Seek YAHWEH while He is still to be found, call to Him while He is still near. Let the wicked abandon his way, and the evil one his thoughts. Let him turn back to YAHWEH who will take pity on him, to our God who is rich in forgiveness; for my thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not my ways, declares YAHWEH. For the heavens are as high above the earth as my ways are above your ways, my thoughts above your thoughts. Isaiah 55:6-9



So yesterday I was reminded of the His ways are not my ways. Twice really.  First I received an email from the guy on the highway in Spain, the one who searched us out, as we headed up the highest and hardest hill on El Camino, and threw away his crutches to run across the road and thank us for praying for Him. And his understanding is garbled still as he seeks to know more, as is each of our understandings, of He whose thoughts are above our thoughts. But he wanted to tell me once again that he holds that moment in his heart forever, when he came face to face with the love and power of the living God.



And may I never forget that soaring joyous freedom sweeping through my soul that afternoon. Holy, holy, holy.



And Shaun had to wrestle yesterday afternoon with the Living God who has placed eternity in our hearts. It was a simple assignment about Power and Taxes for his economics class, but somehow as I tried to straighten out his garbled logic, once it was all laid out nicely and neatly, it pointed straight to a Presence who calls us to love Him with all of our heart, soul, and mind and our neighbor as ourselves.



May this become a never-forgotten moment of His thoughts are not our thoughts in the story of his life.



He is always both within us and over against us. Our reality is as much from His reality as He, moment by moment projects into us. The deeper the level within ourselves from which our prayer, or any other act, wells up, the more it is His, but not at all less ours. Rather, most ours when most His. –Lewis, Letters to Malcolm


Show me the light of Your countenance today. His love has set me free. 


Prayer: God, you have prepared in peace the path I must follow today. Help me to walk straight on that path. If I speak, remove lies from my lips. If I am hungry, take away from me all complaint. If I have plenty, destroy pride in me. May I go through the day calling on You, You, O LORD, who know no other LORD. Ethiopian Prayer



No comments:

Post a Comment