Friday, January 16, 2015

And now the sky is a definite blue. A little hazy, but blue.


But you, O LORD, are gracious and full of compassion, slow to anger, and full of kindness and truth. Turn to me and have mercy upon me; give your strength to your servant; and save the child of your handmaid. Psalm 86:15-16

Sunrise over the Hudson River happens in a blink. I glanced away just a moment to check in our American Airlines flights, and when I looked back the sky was bright and rosy.

Out one window there is a huge bird soaring, sweeping over the still water, dark against the striated clouds. And out the other, another bird is desperately flapping, harder and harder, flapping and flapping.

And today as Uncle Jim and I head out across the country, I ask to soar, aware and at rest in His gracious kindness and truth.

And Ali couldn’t believe that I really was going to walk the length of a frigid Manhattan yesterday morning, but he gave me his little black cap as I ignored his kindly wisdom. But it was a happy walk, aware and at rest. Practicing for today. And I got to explore the CBS offices yesterday with him, and peer out of the huge windows overlooking the city. And today we meet again for breakfast.

And last night Jude and I shared a potluck dinner with passionate women who care about small but effective efforts to address the big overwhelming mess out there. And we met a bright-eyed Princeton student who thought she was doing her Fulbright on Roman warfare in the second century but was distracted by the thousands and thousands of Syrian and Iraqi refugees pouring into Jordan and now she is living with hopeful impact. And we watched the night city from a garden patio on the top of the NYU law school building.

And now all the buildings across the river have turned bright orange. Reflecting the light of the sun; although I cannot see it, I know it is there.

It is about perspective. And hope.

Almighty God, whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ is the light of the world: Grant that your people, illumined by your Word, may shine with the radiance of Christ’s glory, that He may be known, worshipped, and obeyed to the ends of the earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with You and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment