Tuesday, January 13, 2015

And really sometimes it is the most I can do to get them to write their name on the paper

For the LORD God is both sun and shield; He will give grace and glory. Psalm 84:10

He came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day as he usually did. He stood up to read, and they handed him the scroll of the prophet Isaiah. Unrolling the scroll he found the place where it is written: The Spirit of the Lord is on me, for he has anointed me to bring the good news to the afflicted. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to captives, sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim a year of favor from the Lord. Luke 4:16-19

This thing called favor from the LORD, our sun and shield, is both grace and glory. 

And Danny Silk describes this favor, this “pillar of love is comprised of a commitment, an action, and a result. The commitment part is this: I care about you and value you—all of you. I care about your soul, spirit, body, relationships, dreams, and destiny.” The action part is demonstrating care and value in many ways and in many situations as you get to know a person over time. And the result of these actions is that the person feels loved! They feel safe, valued, connected, nourished, protected, and understood.”

And it is sort of funny how, well I am not exactly nervous about subbing for Nicole today, while she traipses through the Grand Canyon with Rachel’s Challenge, but I am carefully plotting my way through the day, weighing and considering.

And the thing is, these kiddos in this class felt pretty afflicted when I was with them Friday. Afflicted by whatever social, emotional and physical chains hold them back from all that they can be. So much so that I can’t even particularly say, “Hope to be,” because as I chatted about the future, I didn’t hear any stories of what good glimmered on the horizon. None.

So today, may I proclaim the Lord’s favor, His love and care and value for each one of these students with their names taped to their desk, that I, as His child and His hands and feet will say and do and look and feel and think that I care about your each soul, spirit, body, relationship, dream, and destiny.

Oh yes, the stated objective for today is revealing character. The student will be able to develop experiences or events using effective technique, vivid and specific details, and clear event sequences. Those all sound like good things for me as well.

Almighty God, whose Son our Savior Jesus Christ is the light of the world: Grant that your people, illumined by your Word, may shine with the radiance of Christ’s glory, that He may be known, worshipped, and obeyed to the ends of the earth; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, now and for ever. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment