Tuesday, January 20, 2015

He does all the heavy lifting.

Search for the LORD and His strength; continually seek His face. Psalm 105:4

Now Adonijah the son of Haggith exalted himself, saying, “I will be king…His father had never at any time displeased him by asking, “Why have you done thus and so?” He was also a very handsome man, and he was born next after Absalom. I Kings 1:5-6

So for some reason I sense that I am supposed to read the Book of the Kings. I sort of roamed around the internet looking for a summary that would articulate a purpose or an overarching theme, and this is the best I could find: It is the story of the rise and fall of kingdoms, of high promise and abject failure, of tragedy and yet of hope.

And yesterday as our community group gathered around salads and sandwiches, Fred said that he is seeking to know humility. Not only for himself, but how to talk about it well to a group of middle school students. Because humility is not where we land, left to our own devises.

And Mr. Dictionary only reinforces this scorn for all things humble: low in importance or status, a feeling of insignificance or inferiority, subservience. But that is not it at all. In fact, this humility thing proper perspective is the beginning of wisdom, and is full of promises.

And I sort of think that is going to be the lesson of the Kings. Folks lifting themselves up only face abject failure. In sharp contrast to the simple beauty and goodness of walking humbly with my God. And hope. In Him do I hope.

And sifting through the string of verses developing this sweetest of positions, I raise my hand and declare, “Me, me too.” May it be so. That at the proper time, He will lift me up.

But this is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit. Isaiah 66:2

He does all the heavy lifting. My burden is light.



No comments:

Post a Comment