Friday, January 23, 2015

Perhaps all besides is but folly and vanity.

I will offer you a freewill sacrifice and praise your Name, O LORD, for it is good. Psalm 54:6

All you need say is, ‘Yes’ if you mean yes, “No’ if you mean no; anything more than this comes from the Evil One.” Matthew 5:37

Forgive me my sins as I forgive those who sin against me. Lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from evil.

Does it have to be this careening up-and-down rollercoaster ride? Exciting, but, really, I hate rollercoaster rides. Because I am so noble, my chaperone hand was always up high, volunteering to take all of the eighth grade Knott’s Berry Farm trip timidchickenhearts around and around on the log ride, lots of little bumps but the splashing and sloshing and soaking were all very predictable and involved absolutely no altitude.

And it is a comfort that the same Father in heaven knows that with the same dailyness that my body will hunger and thirst and need its bread and water, my self-same humanity will ask for forgiveness.

And, well, Brother Laurence calls it like it is: I regard myself as the most wretched of all men, stinking and covered with sores, and as one who has committed all sorts of crimes against his King. Overcome by remorse, I confess all my wickedness to Him, ask His pardon and abandon myself entirely to Him to do with as He will. But this King, filled with goodness and mercy, far from chastising me, lovingly embraces me, makes me eat at His table, serves me with His own hands, gives me the keys of His treasures and treats me as His favorite. He talks with me and is delighted with me in a thousand and one ways; He forgives me and relieves me of my principle bad habits without talking about them; I beg Him to make me according to His heart and always the more weak and despicable I see myself to be, the more beloved I am of God. 

Visit me with Your saving help that I may be glad with the gladness of Your people. Psalm 106:5


He will make me glad.



No comments:

Post a Comment