Thursday, May 22, 2014

Flourish like a green leaf

May 21, 2014

Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense,
    but a man of understanding remains silent.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets,
    but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered. Proverbs 11:12-13

I imagine that there are all sorts of subtle ways to belittle neighbors and slander secrets.  Especially when one is apt to leap into a conversation early and often, such as myself. In sharp contrast to Alan and Scott, who stand on the outskirts thoughtfully considering and weighing words. 

May 22, 2014

Where there is no guidance, a people falls,
    but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. Proverbs 11:14

I am thinking about this abundance thing this morning. I wrote a celebratory letter to a guy who has flourished with an abundance of counselors, a trustworthy community who has been there faithfully through the darkness and over the slippery spots. It has not been an easy journey, but there was overarching sense of peace that comes from that sure grasp (of the wrist, thank you Mr. Helin) offered as the footing gives way. And, and on the other hand, my thoughts and prayers are with a woman wandering through northern Nevada, alone, even unaware of a loving Presence who goes with her, before her, and shelters her from behind.

And I am thinking about unity a lot these days, thanks to Dave and 4Tucson. And humility. And the checklist. Because this whole community idea is not very easy, and sometimes the isolated Northern route seems simplest. Choosing to go low does not come naturally.

Sometimes I just stick it out because I am stubborn. And I kind of like doing things the hard way. And sometimes it is a slightly more noble but abstract understanding that pushing into community brings honor to God and joy to Jesus in a way that I can’t quite wrap my brain around, but the Bible tells me so.

And yet, very really and truly, there is safety in community. Delightful, satisfying, mango-juice running down the chin comfort and safety, as in The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life.  And this morning I celebrate the many delightful counselors that surround me, Mary Anne delivering the morning paper and a prayer, Kathie taking care of business, Sue my Thursday prayer walker, Heather with always-a-wise-word, Wendy so kind and smiley, my momma with a world of experience…the list goes on and on.

And as I wrote this morning, with some slight pronoun changes: I rejoice in the strong community who stands by me, across many waters, with much love and wisdom to walk alongside me in the grand adventure, a long obedience in the same direction.


Glory.



No comments:

Post a Comment