Monday, May 19, 2014

For whoever finds me finds life

The Lord formed and brought Wisdom forth at the beginning of His way,
before His acts of old. 
I, Wisdom, was inaugurated and ordained from everlasting,
from the beginning, before ever the earth existed.
When there were no deeps, I was brought forth,
when there were no fountains laden with water.
Before the mountains were settled,
before the hills, I was brought forth,
While as yet He had not made the land or the fields
or the first of the dust of the earth.
When He prepared the heavens, I was there;
when He drew a circle upon the face of the deep 
and stretched out the firmament over it,
When He made firm the skies above,
when He established the fountains of the deep,
When He gave to the sea its limit and His decree
that the waters should not transgress across the boundaries set by His command,
when He appointed the foundations of the earth—
Then I was beside Him as a master and director of the work;
and I was daily His delight, rejoicing before Him always, Proverbs 8

So I just got a note from Wali who made it to Dulles this morning after his Tucson plane broke down last night and John had to drive him up to Phoenix lickity-split last night because there are a lot of complicated connections between here and Al-Qamishli, Kurdistan via Abu Dhabi, and Wali is a little nervous because he hasn’t been back in seven or eight years since he was fifteen and since he was granted political asylum because he might get shot when he steps foot in his old village. Which reminds me of when Dustin and I sat there through his first hearing down at the courthouse and listened agape as his pro bono lawyer earned every penny Wali didn’t pay her and he almost got sent back then and there.  And I just wrote a good-bye to Yu Cheng Bai as he takes off to China but he is going to send me the science fiction story he is writing to enjoy and edit and I chatted with Nicole finishing the last of her edits in Marmaris, Turkey, at the Global Sailing Academy, and Lily, my new kindred spirit, Jin Cheng’s sister in Australia, asked another question about his senior expo project, and Jin Cheng is a little scared because he is facing yet another Chandler biology final exam and the last one didn’t go so well, and John is a little scared too and he isn’t scared of anything but has scrambled down all of the abandoned Titan Missile shafts around Tucson but now he is walking out the door to go deep water soloing in Winslow, Arizona and who knew?

He knew.

And things are a little busy tired crazy around here. And I am too exhausted to eat anything besides cold oatmeal two or three or I forgot how many times a day even when Alan makes his stirfry specialty and am looking forward to a twenty-seven hour flight to Istanbul so I can sleep the whole way.

And as I splashed across the pool this morning in my lane with a German salesman and an Eastern European professor and a perky medical student and a gracious organic baker, I though about this knowingness. Wisdom, which was inaugurated and ordained from everlasting is mine for the asking.

And my prayer for the Penazzi brothers on Mondays is the Ask and Ye Shall Receive promise.  And it is my prayer for today.

Dear Lord God of the fountains of laden water and the settled mountains and You who drew  a circle on the face of the deep, Dear Lord God, I am asking for wisdom. You who have promised to give freely and without reproach.

Because You know.

And before I pop out the door I have to remember to print up Elizabeth’s Works Cited page because she just sent it to me and her only printer is at her dad’s work.


You know.


No comments:

Post a Comment