Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The morning light now pours through those panes of glass

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
    and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    and He will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

So pretty much if you are on my prayer list, you might as well know, this is what I am praying for you, every day. Just in case you were wondering.  And well, I am sort of an Eeyore person, and can’t quite imagine a gleaming path stretching out to the horizon as straight as some of those perspective drawings we learned how to do in fifth grade with a wooden ruler. But I do pray for the next step to be clear and strong and straight.

And it’s not so much like that little Verizon guy with the cell phone and the incessant and slightly setting-one’s-teeth on edge (re the Urban Dictionary entry), “Can you hear me now?” That is not how God speaks to us and makes His understanding known.

We read the Scriptures to learn how He has worked and spoken in the past and we read of dreams and early risings and still small voices. But the image in my head is not so far in the past. I think of my brother Scott. Slow-speaking Scott. Pause. Rub his chin a little. Squint. Reflect on what he has learned of what is true and good and of real value. Not his own understanding, but His.

All my ways. Holding nothing back.


We are yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment