Friday, May 23, 2014

Like a gold ring in a pig's snout


Whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense,
    but a man of understanding remains silent.
Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets,
    but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered. Proverbs 11:12-13

I imagine that there are all sorts of subtle ways to belittle neighbors and slander secrets.  Especially when one is apt to leap into a conversation early and often, such as myself. In sharp contrast to Alan and Scott, who stand on the outskirts thoughtfully considering and weighing words. 

I have no excuse. I had already meditated on these wisdom words and theoretically let them settle into my heart a couple of days ago. 

But I didn’t do so well on this one yesterday. I responded to some kind, open-ended questions with unloaded sundry frustrations. And the problem with those words once they are dumped is that they don’t just sit there in an ugly little heap, but they creep off and cause all sorts of mischief…in the hearts and minds of people I love.

And it’s not just a simple matter of self-control. No one can control the tongue, it is a restless flame set on fire by hell itself. A fire fueled by what lies hidden in the heart. 

Pride. Ingratitude. Faithlessness. Mercilessness. To name a few.

With his mouth the godless man would destroy his neighbor,
    but by knowledge the righteous are delivered.

Knowledge of what is good and what is true and what is love.

And yesterday noon we were kicking around Big Ideas in the reflective gathering of Desert English teachers. And they were chatting about Mr. Winslow’s big line, well he confessed to stealing it from God: Be silent.

Because that silence leads into knowing God.

As in Be silent and know that I am God.



No comments:

Post a Comment