Monday, January 27, 2014

I feel less queasy if I fix my eyes on the Horizon

 My brothers, if any of you should wander away from the truth and another should turn him back on to the right path, then the latter may be sure that in turning a man back from his wandering course he has rescued a soul from death, and his loving action will “cover a multitude of sins”. James 5:19-20

So this is my dilemma. Day after day. I understand and believe that there are ways that my beloved brothers and sisters have wandered away from the truth. And this ache in my heart feels very much like proddings from the Holy Spirit. And I am trying to discern whether it is fear that binds my mouth shut, much along the lines of Moses, who fretted because he was a clumsy speaker and his fear of man, or whether it is obedience to being quick to listen and slow to speak. Or perhaps, and this is what wakes me up at night, is it for such a time as this that God has placed me in my spheres of influence? Or am I to continue quietly sowing for a harvest of righteousness? Who am I to judge a brother? Back and forth, like a seasick sailor tossed by the winds.

And that should not be.  And if, any of you does not know how to meet any particular problem he has only to ask God—who gives generously to all men without making them feel foolish or guilty—and he may be quite sure that the necessary wisdom will be given him. But he must ask in sincere faith without secret doubts as to whether he really wants God’s help or not. The man who trusts God, but with inward reservations, is like a wave of the sea, carried forward by the wind one moment and driven back the next. That sort of man cannot hope to receive anything from God, and the life of a man of divided loyalty will reveal instability at every turn.

And there you have it, James. May I trust in God, with no reservations, but with heaps of humility and love. May my life prove to be good soil to receive the seed, and may it come up, grow and produce a crop, some multiplying thirty, some sixty, some a hundred times.




No comments:

Post a Comment