Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Is this not the fast I have chosen?

The man who simply hears and does nothing about it is like a man catching the reflection of his own face in a mirror. He sees himself, it is true, but he goes on with whatever he was doing without the slightest recollection of what sort of person he saw in the mirror. But the man who looks into the perfect mirror of God’s law, the law of liberty (or freedom), and makes a habit of so doing, is not the man who sees and forgets. He puts that law into practice and he wins true happiness. James 1:21-25


So this is my prayer today. As I pray for my kiddos. That they may win true happiness. Outside of their clutched Starbucks and QT sodas. And frightfully short selfie and instagram attention spans.

And I am sifting through the old snapshots for the PowerPoint part of chapel today, catching reflections of my face, so to speak. Trying to remember the sort of person looking back at me, dusty and dorky in full eighties regalia. Always with a tousled white-blonde baby tucked under one or both arms. And sometimes flipping through Where’s There No Doctor or the Dios Llega al Hombre version of the New Testament or scrubbing yet another stack of tattered blue jeans and diapers on the cement slab.










All I have is a few faded pictures and a few embellished tales to share, my little loaves and thin fishes so to speak. And I offer them up to The Teacher today.  With thanksgiving, eucharisteo. And May He prove faithful once again, and feed the restless crowd with His Word of Truth. And may they walk away seeing and not forgetting. And may this simple exercise of a two-week fast put the law, the law of liberty, into practice.



And win true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment