Wednesday, January 29, 2014

He said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?

January 28 2014

Almighty and everlasting God, you govern all things both in heaven and on earth: Mercifully hear the supplications of your people, and in our time grant us your peace; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


 January 29, 2014

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.

So yesterday morning I woke up weeping. So very many discouraging…as in sucking the heart out of me…thoughts crowded darkly into my mind. Memories of the previous day loomed in terrible replay mode in my unhappy dreams.  I felt alone, on a huge empty plain, with jagged fissures slicing deeply into hard-packed soil, with nary a single green sprig pushing upward. Alone under the bright cold sky with nary a raincloud on the horizon. And with my squeezed shut eyes I was Alone; me and Elijah in his rocky cave.

And then God let loose the heavens and raindrops of blessing pounded around me, refreshing and renewing. And well, washed the dust from my squinched eyes and well, yes, I was able to notice little green sprigs pushing upward through the caliche in all directions.  This compacted cement-like impermeable layer of life cannot resist the LORD God of heaven and earth Who is at work to both to will and to act for His good pleasure.

He is merciful. In that I can find peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment