Friday, January 17, 2014

Pushing aside the leaves, looking for fruit

We use the tongue to bless our Father, God, and we use the same tongue to curse our fellow-men, who are all created in God’s likeness. Blessing and curses come out of the same mouth—surely, my brothers, this is the sort of thing that never ought to happen! Have you ever known a spring to give sweet and bitter water simultaneously? Have you ever seen a fig-tree with a crop of olives, or seen figs growing on a vine? It is just as impossible for a spring to give fresh and salt water at the same time. James 3: 8-12


Something about this verse touches me so deeply that it is difficult to even put it into words. I tried yesterday. Nothing. Today. Nothing. Just a heartache. Something grips me about the idea of fellow-men, who are all created in God’s likeness. And surely blessings and curses coming out of the same mouth, my brothers, ought not to happen. And I feel splattered all day long by springs of bitter water.

Let me be an instrument of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment