Thursday, November 27, 2014

And Buon Natale is hanging up high on the tree

Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; knit my heart to you that I may fear your Name. Psalm 86:11

Well, it’s that time of year again.

My mom’s friend likes to knit so over the years we have all been gifted with afghans in specially chosen colors that spend most of the year folded up neatly in the hall closet but now that the not-so-frigid weather has struck Tucson, these blankets are now draped around couch arms and people shoulders and group laps in front of the fireplace.

And knitting is actually a pretty amazing concept. Entwined back and forth indistinguishable from one another woven into beautiful yet sturdy functionality.

And the fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom.

As I walk with the Lord, I discover that God poses an ominous threat to my ego, but not to me. He rescues me from my delusions, so He may reveal the truth that sets me free. He casts me down, only to lift me up again. Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, but love from the Lord is its completion. - William D. Eisenhower

Perspective. Seeing. Revealed truth that sets me free.

And yesterday afternoon Nicole and I dragged out all of the old boxes full of strung lights and slightly bent angels and crèches and candle holders and embroidered stockings to be hung by the chimney with care. Boxes crammed full of crinkled memories and sparkling smiles nestled up right against bruised aches as yet unresolved pains. Boxes heaped to overflowing with perspective. Because this year, like every year before it, has not been the easiest thing, and the road has been long and uphill, lots of uphills.



But what is true is this: Jesus taught us, saying, Now if that is how God clothes the wild flowers growing in the field which are there today and thrown into the furnace tomorrow, will He not much more look after you, you who have so little faith?

But, what is true is this: You crown the year with your goodness, and Your paths overflow with plenty. 

Perspective. Seeing. Revealed truth that sets me free.

And those long hard uphills are nevertheless under strong trees and by still waters and I shall not want. May the fields of the wilderness be rich for grazing, and the hills be clothed with joy.


Sing to the LORD with thanksgiving.



No comments:

Post a Comment