Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another Cup of Water


The LORD’s will stands fast forever, and the designs of His heart from age to age.  Psalm 33:10

‘Come, you whom my Father has blessed, take as your heritage the kingdom prepared for you since the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you made me welcome, lacking clothes and you clothed me, sick and you visited me.’  Mathew 25: 32-34

The LORD’s will is simpler than we sometimes think.  This is a pretty clear definition of what it means to be upright even in a world of crashing complexity.  Reading the words of Jesus, there is no tangled-up theological technicalities.  His heart does not waver.  We are to be like Him, full of lovingkindness and mercy, on the just and the unjust falls the rain.  This is encouraging to me, because sometimes I am just too tired to think through the “issues.”  But I can always get up and serve another glass of water.  That I can do. 

I still have a very clear picture of one of my few visions, rolling out on the wall at Pancho and Betty’s house in Alamos, during the praise and worship part of the service.  Me standing there at a kitchen sink filling up glasses of water, handing them out one by one, to an endless line of people snaking out the door over the horizon.  This I can do.

Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment