Wednesday, March 28, 2012

As was His custom


And when He rose from prayer, He came to the disciples and found them sleeping for sorrow,  and He said to them, “Why are you sleeping? Rise and pray that you may not enter into temptation.”  Luke 22:45-46

Much grievous sin is committed when I am tired or sad.  We are all aware and perhaps even alert to the dangers of crimes of passion, but those of dispassion are perhaps even more deadly.  The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak is where I stop when I reach the end of my own strength and skill and overall general niceness.  It is at this moment when I need to press into prayer, “Lead me not into temptation.”  But I don’t.  I succumb to my fears, worries, selfishness and fleshly excuses.  And lead of life of regret and I-should-haves.  

This moment on the Mount of Olives is when The Tempter returned.  Unleashing his big guns for his final attack on the Hope which is Christ Jesus.  And Jesus met him toe-to-toe.  Not with dramatic signs and wonders, not with piercing biblical truths, nor by gritting His teeth and charging forward, perhaps flailing one of the two swords.

No, He met him alone.  Kneeling.  Seeking strength outside of Himself.  Not My will but Thy will be done.  Thus he was able to say, “...for the ruler of this world is coming. He has no claim on me, but I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father.”

The measure of my love.  When all of my natural defenses are peeled away, where do I turn?  Or do I just turn over in bed, cram a pillow over my head and hope it all goes away?  

No comments:

Post a Comment