Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blushing Red Wine


But new wine must be put into fresh wineskins. And no one after drinking old wine desires new, for he says, ‘The old is good.’  Luke 5: 36

...so many verses that I never particularly noticed before...  People don’t like change.    No, even deeper than that, they see no need for change.  “This is good enough.”  I have grown accustomed to this spot of mine, even, perhaps just as a lobster gets accustomed to a heating pot of water.  

I gave a fairly garbled presentation yesterday in church.  Somehow as I marched up to the front with my PowerPoint presentation, my neatly printed script, and a clear plan everything exploded into a bright-faced fluster.  Alas.  Humbling but effective.  Nineteen people signed up to host Vineyard Cafés in their home.  

But the point was- some metaphor that seemed crystal clear in the wee hours- that changing and growing and adapting and learning are the “hallmarks of life, and inflexibility heralds death.”  And I had pictures of dendrites with pulses of light at the point of contact.

And the point is- that change keeps us not only humbled but dependent upon Him and His Spirit.  We long to depend on predictable material systems, even if the results are a little moldy, versus that leap of faith into what is new, in process, fermenting.  

And so today, let me watch for opportunities to grow and connect, to pause for all that He longs to pour out- from His loving hand- into my waiting cup.  

No comments:

Post a Comment