Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Even When It's Cold & Dark


Strive to enter through the narrow door. For many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able. When once the master of the house has risen and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and to knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, open to us,’ then he will answer you, ‘I do not know where you come from.’ Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets. ‘But he will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil!’  Luke 13:24-27

This word ‘strive’ is the same word Paul uses when he speaks of an athlete training for a prize.  There are no distractions. Eyes are forward.  Leaning in.  Pushing past the pain and discomfort. This word is also used when describing “wrestling in prayer” and “I have fought the good fight.”  

So my little paddlings are no training for the Olympics.  But I still have to make the same sort of decisions every single morning.  Leaping out of bed at the first swoosh of the ocean waves alarm clock.  Stripping down to a slightly damp suit.  That jump into a far-below comfort level pool.  She who hesitates is lost.  Every fleshly bone in my body longs to be back in bed with a pillow over my head.  But I have made the decision so strive I must.  

This does not mean that we work our way into the banquet; it’s not how clever we are or who we are or what we did that earns us a place at the table.  The entrance is the door, Jesus.  He is the Way.  His death carved the passageway through the wall of sin.  

However we do indeed have to take the call to follow Him seriously.  It’s not a wandering in circles sort of call, lackadaisical sort of meandering.  Something to be attended to when it is more convenient.  This is serious business.  Not just glancing up and musing a bit when Jesus passes by.  It is straightaway dropping our nets and following Him.  

Now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment