Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Meekness


When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments again he went back to the table. ‘Do you understand,’ he said, ‘what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master have washed your feet, you must wash each other’s feet.  John 13:12

If indeed I call Him Lord and Master, I need to unwrap self from around me, where it chokes and binds, and lay it aside to serve, kneeling, my eyes fixed on the served.  There is no place for whispered offenses or demands or bemoanings.  They are shrill indications that His Spirit is not in control.  

There is a steadiness and an intentionality reflected in all that He does.  No swooping highs and lows.  The Spirit of God is manifest, not self.  We have heard that meekness is a strong word.  But do we live it?  Its strength is built on confidence in the Father.  And in the moment by moment communion with Him.  With this knowledge and obedience comes a blessing.  

Now that you know this, blessed are you if you behave accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment