Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Resolved


“You unbelieving and perverse generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you and put up with you?”  Luke 9:41

I know sometimes I get um, what is the word? Discouraged, frustrated, hopeless with people sometimes. Christians in particular.   In my small understanding of life, they, me included,  just don’t get it.  Whatever “it” is.  

The disciples didn’t get much of anything.  After three full years with the Teacher.  They couldn’t do a relatively straightforward exorcism, they were arguing about who would be the greatest, they were drawing sectarian lines when they should have been pulling in reinforcements, and for a grand finale, the Sons of Thunder wanted to call down fire from heaven on an unwelcoming village.  Bam, bam, bam.  Luke lays it out.  

And in the midst of this fussing and fuming and wandering around in mental circles, is my all time gut-wrenching moment in the Bible: He set his face toward Jerusalem.  Resolutely.  Steadfastly.  And from the sound of things, alone.  

And in a way, (yes, I know there is all that stuff about community and family and a friend that is closer than a brother), that is how each of us needs to make the journey.  Without distractions.  It’s about Him and me.  Pressing in together.  I need to rip my eyes away from the world, the milling multitude, and follow Him.  

Follow me.  
Uh, where?
It doesn’t matter.  I have no place to lay my head.

Follow me.
Uh, gotta go take care of a few family details.
Let the dead bury the dead.

Follow me.
Uh, can’t I just even say good-bye?
No turning back.  No turning back.

Onward.  To our purpose and calling.  To our Jerusalem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment