Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A ten-year-old's prayer


The same stone which the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. This is the LORD’s doing, and it is marvelous in our eyes.  Psalm 118: 22-23
God just doesn’t operate on our level.  What we can reason through, what we expect, what we figure out would be best. Especially what we put together late at night as we fret through the day.  But even at our best moments, we simply are not God.  “My ways are not your ways,” says the LORD God.  
And I forget, pretty much all of the time, that is a good thing.  Mostly I just get worried or frustrated or even angry at Him.  Hey, are You paying attention?  
His Godness is not just a good thing, it is something marvelous in our eyes.  His workings are far beyond my drifting daydreams.  And that is true.  And testimonies and memorials of this truth stand tall in my life.  If only I would not get distracted with all my conversations with me, and me alone.  
Rejoice always.  I say it again rejoice.  Let everyone see that you are gracious and kind in all that you do.  Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything, and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers.  If you do this, you will experience God’s peace which is far more wonderful than the human mind can comprehend.  
Those little verses I claimed as my very own when I was ten-years-old at Joy Bible Camp up at Big Bear Lake are really quite enough.  I was the biggest dork ever.  But at least I understood what was true.  That was the week that man first walked on the moon.  A long time ago.  
And thus I am reminded.  What man has rejected, He has claimed for His purposes.  He is at work.  He is doing.  And it is marvelous, if we can see with our eyes.  

Pretty simple.  Maybe that's why he gathers the children around Him.   Even the clumsy ones wearing matching shorts outfits and a pixie hair cut whose big claim to fame was winning the Bible sword drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment