Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What Is Serious?


“A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.‘But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled.”  Luke 14:16-23

So Matteo wrote me this morning.  What does it mean to you following Jesus seriously?  “It’s not how clever we are or who we are or what we did that earns us a place at the table”...  When I stop thinking how little seriously I follow his teaching I get terrified...especially when is about getting in disagreements with other people..afraid of saying NO, or to correct young people who say blasphemies against God.. so..would be so kind to give me some daily examples of seriousness???

One example of seriousness is that of assuming the role of a teacher, because one is especially sensitive about not leading others astray.  Especially where Christ heads in the next teaching, that of “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.”  That is also another example of seriousness.  

Jesus is serious.  He has set his face toward Jerusalem, where He knows His suffering and death await. “Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.”

And yet.  There is a tenderness here.  He longs to gather her children up as a hen gathers up her brood under her wings.  And He urges the servants to go to the highways and hedges and compel people to come, because His table must be full.  He knows that we are but dust.  

So what did I tell Matteo?  Obviously this is part of a broader discussion.  What would others say?  

I do not think that being bold in disagreeing with other people, or correcting young blasphemies means that you are being serious about following Jesus.  

I think it is done in the quiet of one's heart.  A settledness that does not mean that you never have doubts or questions or even anger towards God... I think of David of one who was serious with God, but the Psalms are full of working out his understanding of God and Who He is.  And full of his ending the conversation with “You are God.  Bless Your name.”  

There is a good book with a good title... A long obedience in the same direction.... which speaks of the idea... The best book that I have ever read on the topic over and over... for many years is Brother Lawrence who writes about it... Practicing the Presence of God... “We must do our business faithfully; without trouble or disquiet, recalling our mind to GOD mildly, and with tranquility, as often as we find it wandering from Him.” It is NOT about being perfect... it's about messing up and gently getting up and heading off after Him once again. 

And what pleases God?  He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.  Micah 6:8

I KNOW what is serious. The parents of the students competing at the ACSI Regional Spelling Bee.  THEY are serious.  Off to Phoenix in my little black car.  

No comments:

Post a Comment